While the convenience and popularity of recipe websites, food bloggers and Pinterest cannot be denied, there is still something nostalgic and special about thumbing through a cookbook to look for new recipes. San Antonio and the surrounding areas are fortunate to have many great chefs and authors. This makes me really proud, so I wanted to tell you about a few cookbooks that are locally authored and encourage you to pick one up and start trying some of these recipes today.
- Texas Hill Country Cuisine – Written by Chef Ross Burtwell of The Cabernet Grill in Fredericksburg, this book is filled with delicious recipes and gorgeous photos.
- Enchiladas: Aztec to Tex-Mex – A culmination of traditional and contemporary enchilada recipes by Cappy Lawton (of Cappy’s Restaurant) and Chris Waters Dunn.
- Don Strange of Texas: His Life and Recipes – The “king of caterers” shares his story and many of his popular catering recipes.
- Los Barrios Family Cookbook – The Barrios family has been well-known in the San Antonio restaurant scene for years, and this cookbook includes many Tex-Mex recipes that have been passed down through many generations, so we know they are tried and true!
- Fed & Fit – I am a big fan of Cassy Joy Garcia’s podcast, where she discusses health lifestyle topics with a very positive outlook. Her book includes over 175 gluten-free and Paleo-friendly recipes that are practical and delicious. I recently cooked the Chicken Tikka Masala recipe, and it was incredible!
- Classic Tex-Mex Cooking – While browsing in Larder at Hotel Emma recently, I came across this cookbook. The San Antonio author, Jim Peyton, has another cookbook called Naturally Healthy Mexican Cooking. You can never have too much Tex-Mex, right?
Whether you’re shopping for a gift for yourself or someone else, these locally-written cookbooks are sure to please! I would love to hear about your favorite local cookbooks, or favorite recipes from some of these, so send me an email if you have something to share!
Upcoming events to consider:
Fiesta – April 20-30
ReDo: Fiesta – April 20
YTAC 4th Annual Queso Bowl – May 5
Baskets & Blankets – May 7
22nd Annual Taste of the Dominion – May 11
Zoo-La-La! A Taste of San Antonio – May 11
Culinaria Wine & Food Festival – May 18-21
Brews and Blooms – May 20
Burgers, BBQ and Beer – May 21
San Antonio No Kid Hungry Dinner – fundraiser at Hotel Emma May 21
To read more Off the Menu blog posts, click here.
I would love to hear your thoughts or comments on the blog! If you would like to subscribe or send me your comments, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The views and opinions expressed within this blog are those of the author(s)’ and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of ATKG, LLP, its owners, employees, or affiliates.